I’ve got a total of 3 VPS’s from different providers now and I’ve been trying to decide the best way to back them all up. Plus I’ve got about 7GB of documents, photos and videos on my home PC and if everything could be backed up to the same place then even better.
There are a few really good points to using this method –
- the later versions of duplicity are built to work with S3, it’s one of the many options
- duplicity only sends files that have changed since the last backup reducing the bandwidth you use
- S3 is pretty cheap and you would hope, being Amazon, that your data is pretty secure
- although not mountable as a filesystem yet you can access S3 through a plugin in firefox
- it is possible to encrypt your data on S3